Thursday, 26 February 2009

Made Me Think (and some of my friends did too)

The Atheist Bus
I love “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life” sign on some London buses - see BADIDEA in my sites of interest - because it says it all. If I was still an atheist I’d say what do you mean there’s probably no God? Is that so we don’t offend those who think there is a God? Surely it is agnostic to say probably? Does any religious person who believes in a God, or gods, say there probably is a God? Not many I think, though I could be wrong. They say there is a God.

The atheist bus, love the term, or rather the atheist advertisement banner on the bus, since buses, to my knowledge, are neither pro or anti God, is actually misleading. Why? Because a probable does not equal an absolute, for atheists there is no God, or gods. There’s probably no God - but there might be? Now stop worrying. Why should I stop worrying, if I was in the first place? Because there’s probably no God - but there might be. Who is worrying exactly? Are there really many believers out there who worry because they believe in a God? And are there really many believers out there who are not enjoying their life because they believe in a God? The people who seem to be worrying about it all are the atheists.

The banner might cause a few people to say I agree with that and get excited, or it might cause a few people to say I disagree with it, and get excited. Either way it makes people think; like Dan Brown’s novel The Da Vinci Code which caused such a furore, and this made people think and ask questions. For that alone I love the it (the banner not the Da Vinci Code).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come On In.